House on Haunted Hill (1959)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wolvesblood
Admin

Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: House on Haunted Hill (1959)   Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:34 am

Vincent Price has one of his juiciest roles in this haunted-house thriller as millionaire playboy Frederick Loren, who invites five guests out to a genuine haunted house, offering them each $10,000 if they spend the night. Elisha Cook Jr. plays one of the guests, a nervous alcoholic who has been in this house before and witnessed some terrible things. Mr. Loren's beautiful but treacherous wife (Carol Ohmart) is also present--and might be out to kill Frederick during the course of the evening; then again, he might be out to kill her. Severed heads, a skeleton, an acid vat, ghostly screams, and a noose that creeps around on its own and strangles unsuspecting victims are just some of the treats in a film that has been spooking delighted audiences on late-night TV for decades. Producer-director William Castle (THE TINGLER) claimed this was filmed in a process called Emergo, which meant that at a key moment a glow-in-the-dark skeleton on a wire was rigged to sail over the audience's heads. The skeleton is long since gone, but the goofy thrills remain in this classic tale, from a script by Robb White.

I always thought this was a fun film and features the great Vincent Price, which is making me mad because I cannot find my copy Laughing I've always looked at this film as one of those old classics which contains all the good elements of classic Horror, a good story with a bit of mystery, nice settings and atmosphere. Indeed a nice piece of vintage Horror history that should be in everyone's collection at one point or another.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/faminerecords
Undie

Number of posts : 235

PostSubject: Re: House on Haunted Hill (1959)   Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:39 am

Funny thing is i just watched this last night thinking how Price as always was brilliant. This and the original 13 ghosts are two of my favorites from the old B&W years for ghost stories and alas both classics have been giving the poor remake treatment
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/mathew29
Wolvesblood
Admin

Number of posts : 364

PostSubject: Re: House on Haunted Hill (1959)   Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:54 am

That House On Haunted Hill remakes was one of the most disgraceful attempts, I could not even sit through the whole movie. I have to see the atrocity 13 Ghosts underwent jawdrop

DeathROT Maniac

Number of posts : 120

PostSubject: Re: House on Haunted Hill (1959)   Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:07 pm

Quite a killer film. Something I need to put on again. I remember seeing the remake of this in the theaters. I honestly didn't think it was that bad. Wasn't great either.

William Castle had some cool flicks back then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeathROT Maniac

Number of posts : 120

PostSubject: Re: House on Haunted Hill (1959)   Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:43 am

Just saw this again tonight. Always a pleasure to watch!!!

Good payoff revenge at the end. However I guess I was hoping for a little more than that. I don't know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: House on Haunted Hill (1959)   

Back to top Go down

House on Haunted Hill (1959)
Page 1 of 1